Concrete is able to provide you with decades of service when installed by our expert team and maintained. The inherent strength and endurance of concrete is able to withstand years of use, even when exposed to harsh Canadian winters.
Several layers of protective sealer approved by T & R is applied to the concrete surface. This makes the surface stronger and more resistant to abrasion and water penetration. T & R approved sealants also block penetration of stains from chemicals, leaves, oil, grease, and dirt; increase lustre; enrich the colour of concrete; and reduce the chances that efflorescence will discolour the surface. Our approved sealers also prevent fading from UV exposure and make the surface easier to clean.
Despite the concrete being sealed well, it will often require some routine maintenance depending on the conditions it is exposed to and the amount of traffic it receives. Below are some tips to extend the service life and preserve the beauty of your concrete.
Within one week of the concrete installation
- Avoid walking on the newly installed concrete surface for at least two days to prevent unwanted impressions.
- Avoid heavy traffic on the concrete surface for at least one week (such as parking vehicles).
- Wet the surface of the concrete at least once a day, twice a day for a minimum of one week.
Within one year of the concrete installation
- Avoid using de-icing materials on concrete, especially the first year after it is installed. Concrete sealants are often rendered unable to function in areas where de-icing salts are applied or receive run-off from parked cars.
Long term care
- Although a sealer will inhibit stains, you should still sweep and wash the concrete surface occasionally to prevent dirt buildup. We recommend washing your concrete surface after each winter to remove any salt build up from vehicle or shoe traffic. Exterior surfaces can be pressure washed or scrubbed with a mild detergent. Typically, the only routine upkeep needed for interior surfaces is wet mopping or dry dust mopping. Feel free to call our specialists if you would like tips or assistance in cleaning your concrete surface.
- If the concrete begins to lose its sheen after time due to traffic and weather conditions, recoating the surface with sealant will usually restore the lustre. Be sure to call our T & R experts when re-sealing the surface to ensure the highest quality of sealer and superior installation. We recommend re-sealing the surface every 1-3 years.
- If interior concrete flooring is subject to a high amount of foot traffic, it is of utmost importance to maintain the sealed surface to prevents wear patterns. The application of a sacrificial floor polish or wax will be able to provide the surface with extra protection from wear and act as a shock absorber to scuffs, grime, and scratches. Be sure to ask our T & R experts which sacrificial floor wax or polish will work best for your distinct needs.